Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Home is where the heart is


My project for taking it to the street involved looking at foreclosures and its effects on the idea of home and habitation.

Today we are living in a crazy time, from the housing bubble that occurred roughly 5 years ago and to the recent bust with multiple homes across the united states being foreclosed. This has all affected everything in out economy today, everything from the price of a home, to credit, and

I wanted to create signage that branded homes or locations as areas of Foreclosures. I created a graphic of a home:
This graphic combing a home and a lock conveys the idea of a home that has been foreclosed.  The red box was used to insert text with common warm sayings of home, example: home is where the heart is, home sweet home.

I used the font Copper Black, I felt it was welcoming and bold enough to see. 

I then made this image:

Image size 12x18

The worlds Foreclosure and the bottom copy Living the American dream call to attention of what does this idea of home and the goal of attaining it mean? When the motivations mean that homes were bought with loans and credit that should have not been given, I want the viewer to question that of what does this do to all of us, and how does this fit into the social construct of the American dream. 
I posted them around the suburbds that I live in:


This last one was actually a home that was being built, but because of the recession the construction stopped and and it has been vacant ever since. I added it in just to see how it compares to the ones with homes and the ones that are sort of indicators of the area.


No comments:

Post a Comment